The Top Questions To Consider When Choosing Your Shoulder Surgeon
Shoulder injuries are very common, particularly among athletes and highly active individuals. When a person severely injures his shoulder, he is often advised to consult a reputable shoulder surgeon. Finding the right surgeon can be a daunting task, especially if one does not know what to look for. When surgery is recommended, people want to obtain a successful treatment, thus finding a highly experienced surgeon is vital.
The main goal of undergoing surgery for a shoulder injury is to relieve the pain and restore the shoulder’s full function. In planning a patient’s treatment, the physician will consider a number of significant issues, such as the patient’s age, general health, and activity level. Non-surgical treatment options are also recommended, but if they (medication and rehabilitation) do not work, surgery is repeatedly suggested as the last option.
Before choosing the right shoulder surgeon, patients first need to ask important questions, such as the following:
- Why shoulder surgery is often recommended? Are there any other alternatives available?
- What are the advantages of an arthroscopy procedure? Does it help to relieve pain and swelling? Does it enhance mobility and function? How long do the benefits last?
- Are there any risks involved in shoulder surgery?
- What are the success rates for shoulder surgeries?
- How long does it take a shoulder surgeon to complete a shoulder surgical intervention?
- Is one surgery sufficient or does a patient need to undergo a few surgeries before the shoulder is fully functional?
- How many of these surgeries does a shoulder surgeon perform on a monthly and yearly basis?
- What percentage of surgeries, as recommended by medical specialists, is successful?
- What happens to the shoulder if a patient does not want to undergo surgery for the time being?
- Whom should patients consult if they want to obtain a second opinion? Is the surgeon able to recommend other orthopedists?
- Prior to the surgical intervention, does a patient need to be medically assessed?
- What sort of anesthesia is utilized during surgery? Are there risks or after effects involved?
- Is it possible for the shoulder surgeon to introduce his patient to the anesthesiologist before the surgical intervention?
- Following the surgical procedure, do patients normally feel pain? Are there any limitations during their recovery period?
The above mentioned questions are examples of essential questions to ask any shoulder surgeon before agreeing to undergo surgery. Patients are advised to take their time to think about the treatment options provided, and to weigh up the pros and cons.
Please call 646-593-7305 to arrange an appointment with one of the best shoulder surgeons in NYC, or click the link below to receive a call.